Saturday morning HS games. Ah those were the days. 35 years ago.

Tomorrow night, I will be watching HS football, as is my custom.  But not the normal venue.

The last time I attended a game at Barry and Congress, they only played Saturdays, as there were no lights.  And, I watched the game while wearing black wool, and a red glittery overlay.  With a wonderfully large white fiberglass sousa on my shoulder. Or, rather, it seemed large to me, as I was only 5'2" as a Senior.

Yup, it is the 35 year reunion.  A time to gather, to remember the old days, to see how people have changed and so on.  It has been a long time.  Of course, I grew upward and outward, but even at 53, I am not giving up.  I walk at least 4 miles a day, (not sundays) and try to minimize the calories (the only real way to lose weight).  And while I don't play regularly, I do have a helicon, which I pick up to practice for Tuba Christmas, if I can make it. (yeah, time to start).  I do like to sing, Of course, if you have read here before, you already know that.

I was looking at the list of confirmations for the event Saturday night.  Recognize most of the names, but not sure how much I had to do with them.  I played the tuba, and took blow off classes, not thinking about the future.  My senior year, I had work release, so left after band.  Everyone is so much more sociable than I am.

Nine months after retirement, I am still trying to figure out what is next.  I am taking courses, trying to finish a degree that I started decades ago, only to leave school behind for a career as an Air Traffic Controller.  For 28 years, I worked for the Federal Government, pushing tin, to borrow a phrase, in Topeka, Omaha, Kansas City, and finishing my career as the manager of the tower in Twin Falls, ID.  That was probably the most rewarding time, as I had so much to do, and that I had the opportunity to shape a facility, and influence not only the controllers there, but my peers that ran facilities in the Pacific Northwest.  I had the respect of my boss, who tried to get me extended there, as well as her boss.

Not sure what I will do, when I finish the degree, but will cross that bridge when I come to it.  I would love to teach, but without an Ed Degree, that is probably not in the cards, at least not as a full time teacher.  Civics is sorely needed to be taught, and I guess I will leave it at that.

Short, I know.  Am I nervous?

It will be interesting to see the school again, and to see Park Hill Football...

Under the Friday Night Lights.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peering through the fog.

Eternal questions. #familiesareeternal #independencepageant

Come to the Temple